Unlock is a protocol for memberships which lets any creator monetize their content in a permissionless way.
You can try a demo on this site where the content of the post changes on whether the visitor is a member or not.
In order to become members, visitors need to be using a web3 enabled wallet such as MetaMask or a web browser with an embeded wallet, such as Opera. They also need a balance of crypto-currency in order to purchase the memberships.
If you’d like to add a lock to your site, start by deploying your first lock.
While the lock is deploying you should download this plugin from the WordPress site. Then, from the administration of your WordPress.org website, in the
Plugins section, click on the
Add New button and then on the
Upload Plugin button to upload the plugin.
Note: To allow new users to log in using their Ethereum wallet with a single click, make sure that Settings > General > Anyone can register (for single sites) or Network Settings > Allow new registrations > User accounts may be registered (for multisites) is enabled. Your existing users can link their wallets to their WordPress user account regardless of this setting.
Writing locked stories
The plugin provides you with «Block» which can be used in the Gutenberg Editor, for posts and pages.
Unlock Protocol: This block is used to add a lock(s) to the content inside the page/post. To add the block inside the page/post please follow the below steps:
- Click on Post -> Add New
- To add a block you just need to click on “+” in the editor.
- Enter Unlock Protocol in the search.
- Unlock Protocol block will be shown. Click on the block, the block gets added.
- You will be able to see block settings on the right side. From block settings, add at least one lock, select the right network and, enter its address.
Once your page or post includes the content you need, you can preview its content like any other WordPress post or page. We recommend the use of a web3 wallet which supports multiple accounts so that you can easily toggle between accounts which are already members and accounts which are not members yet!
This plugin is, like all of the Unlock code, open source. You’re encouraged to fork it and make any changes you’d like! If you believe these changes would be beneficial to others, we encourage you to also open a Pull Request so that we could add these to the main branch released on the wordpress.org website!
About live editing, from the assets directory, when editing the main.scss, you can run:
lando npm run start
when editing any block related JS or CSS, use:
lando npm run start:blocks
when editing any admin related JS or CSS:
lando npm run start:admin
It should do the auto reload and provide you with live changes.
Publishing the plugin
In order to update the plugin, check out the current subversion state with
svn co https://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/unlock-protocol
Then, from the GitHub repo clone, inside the
assets folder, write
lando npm run release
This will generate a zip file in dist directory, unzip that file and copy the content to trunk directory in svn repo and commit the changes into svn with
svn ci -m "commit message"
Then, tag the new version (replace X and Y!) to release it:
svn cp trunk tags/X.Y svn ci -m "tagging version X.Y"
Additionnaly, please make sure you tag the version on Github:
git tag -a X.Y -m "tagging version X.Y" git push origin X.Y
And finally create the release on Github’si UI
This plugin provides 1 block.
- Unlock Protocol
To be completed with questions!
Contributors & Developers
“Unlock Protocol” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Updated RPC endpoints
- Fixing auth endpoint
- Changed default RPC endpoint for gnosis chain
- support for PHP7.0
- checkout URL customization
- endpoint customization
- Switching RPC check to use getHasValidKey so that it can grant access based on the hasValidKeyHook
- Adding support for blocks with multiple locks
- Brand new plugin with updated UI
- User can login to the WordPress site by using Unlock Protocol account.
- Pre-filled networks
- Setting to add/delete networks.
- Setting to customize the login and checkout button.
- User is linked with the Unlock Protocol site.
- Now the login and purchase is validated from the Unlock Protocol site and content is displaying after the user has the correct access on that specific content.
- Added new Hooks.
- Uses the latest Unlock paywall script https://unlock-protocol.com/blog/introducing-latest-paywall/
- each post/page can have a different configuration
- block setting is now visible inside of the Editor
- Button is not only visible when content is locked
- Supporting nested blocks.
- Initial version