Black Bar is an unobtrusive Debug Bar for WordPress developers. It collects and displays errors, executed SQL queries, slow actions and hooks, theme templates, global variables, and provides a profiler.
How it helps you with development:
- Debug your code with the Console
- Inspect global variables (COOKIE, GET, POST, SERVER, SESSION, WP_Screen)
- Measure performance of your code with the Profiler
- View any PHP errors that occur when loading a page in the Console
- View executed MySQL queries along with execution time and backtrace
- View template files of the active theme in loaded order
- View the 50 slowest action and filter hooks along with callbacks ordered by priority
If you have never installed a WordPress plugin before, you can read instructions on how to do this here.
How do I add entries to the Console?
To add entries to the console, insert the following line of PHP anywhere in your code:
apply_filters('console', 'Enter something to debug here');
You can also add an optional log level like this:
apply_filters('console', 'Enter something to debug here', 'error');
The available log levels are:
How do I use the Profiler?
To use the profiler, insert the following lines of PHP before and after the code you are profiling:
apply_filters('trace:start', 'Enter a description of what you are profiling here');
How do I enable the plugin for non-administrators?
By default, Black Bar is only visible to administrator users. To enable it for all logged-in users, add the following code to your child theme’s functions.php file:
Contributors & Developers
“Black Bar” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Black Bar” has been translated into 1 locale. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Black Bar” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Added cache busting to enqueued assets
- Added console level filter counts
- Added HTTP_COOKIE value to INPUT_SERVER globals
- Added console level filters
- Added sorting to Action/Filter Hooks
- Added syntax highlighting to console entries
- Added trace information to SQL queries
- Beautified SQL formating
- Changed Profiler usage (use the «trace:start» and «trace:stop» hooks)
- Improved Profiler, it is now also more accurate
- Refreshed UI
- Requires PHP >= 7.3